Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Remembering the World's Best Looking Midget


For Davy - 

When I first heard the news, I was just sitting down in my religion and philosophy class. I turned on my phone and became puzzled, I never got this many messages! Quickly and unfortunately, I realized all these people weren't just in a friendly mood and wanted to chat. I started panicking as I read message after message - "Nicole, something serious has happened", "you need to Google Davy's name right now.", etc.

Sure enough, our little Manchester darling passed away this morning. 

The Monkees, perhaps, meant more to me than they should have. They've been my four best friends for a long while now. Sure, I'm really young and I can't say it's been more than a couple years since I impulsively picked up their debut LP at Goodwill, but I love them just the same. Nobody's made me laugh and feel the way these fellas did; their music and their television show was addicting, particularly when I felt I was at my lowest. These guys never, ever fail to make me happy. 

When I heard they were doing a reunion tour, I flipped out. I got my mom to order my ticket (VIP, I might add) the hour they went on sale to the public! 2011 was a rough year and that show made it so, so much better. You just can't describe those lovely butterflies you get in your stomach when you see your favorite band perform, and I had them for weeks after.



I was fortunate enough to meet both Davy and Peter after the show. I'd heard so many things -- "Davy's a prick, don't expect much from him!" "He treats his fans horribly!" etc -- and I'd listened to them. Though after a stunning performance like the one he gave that summer night, I was sure he couldn't be THAT awful. As I wobbled up to him in my ill-fitting and too-high heels, I (surprisingly) looked down at a tiny older man who smiled at me and motioned to come closer. This was Davy Jones. This was the little guy that won the heart of every teenage girl from '66 to '68. And, boy, was he adorable. 

Maybe I just got lucky that night, but Davy couldn't have been sweeter to me. He was all smiles and even got a little mouthy to the security guards for not letting me use my camera, all in my defense. What a prince. He put his arm around me and the photographer snapped our picture. I was told to move onto Peter. That was that. He signed my ticket and my few moments with Davy were over.

Davy Jones was a hell of a performer -- maybe not the best vocalist, but the only one I'd want singing "Daydream Believer" and all those other cheesy ballads all of us love to hate. He was the butt of his own jokes, standing at 5'3'' and he spoke a charming Manchester accent through his nose. We all made fun of him at some point, I did and I know you all did, but we all loved him as well. If nothing else, he was one hell of a heart throb, I can still hear teenage girls sighing in unison as "The Day We Fall In Love" starts playing. And wherever he is now, be it Heaven or reincarnating into a kitten, I hope he's still singing and performing cheesy dance routines. 

I love you, man, I really do. 

RIP Davy Jones. December 30, 1945 - February 29, 2012.
 ♥♥♥♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment