Sunday, January 15, 2012

These are songs I affiliate with a certian memory. Music plays a huge role in my life, as you may have noticed -- while most of my favorite songs hold special memories for me, these seem somehow slightly more significant. Here goes nothin' -- 


"Of Moons, Birds, & Monsters" - MGMT

I listened to MGMT frequently both to and from Disneyland during the summer of '10. While most of the songs off of both Oracular Spectacular and Congratulations hold special meaning to me, this song still sends shivers down my spine. On the way home from Disneyland, I declared "Moons, Birds, Monsters" my favorite MGMT song and proceeded to listen to it on repeat for almost the entire ride back to Oregon. Within those versus and that stunning, almost  too-long guitar solo, I can still feel that California sun penetrating my poor $5 sunglasses, the feeling of emptiness and somehow, simultaneously, complete and utter completeness as we drove out of the Disneyland Hotel parking lot.

"To catch a monster, you make a movie; set the tempo, cut and cut its brains out"


"I'm Happy Just to Dance With You" - The Beatles

By the end of 2010, my musical tastes had "wisened" up a bit -- no longer were alternative rock groups strumming two chords, giving themselves whiplash flipping their hair from their face every two minutes -- in their place was The Beatles. I hadn't grown up with The Beatles and, unfortunately, I had to build my knowledge from the ground up, you know, start from scratch. My first favorite album was A Hard Day's Night and my first favorite track: "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You". George was immediately my favorite -- from the awkward speech impediment to that handsome face and crooked teeth... I really liked this kid! Though my Beatles-worshipping phase has ceased quite a bit, I still have a soft spot for this album. Black Friday, 2010, I walked to FYE (in the snow, mind you) to buy a DVD copy of the A Hard Day's Night movie. The movie ended up not being on sale (50% off DVDs my ass!), but I bought it regardless. Despite the seemingly boring plot and strange, Liverpuddlian humor, that DVD remained in my television all winter long.



"Take a Giant Step" & "Papa Gene's Blues" - The Monkees

Sometime during the summer of 2010, I bought my first vinyl LP -- The Monkees' self titled, debut album. More of the Monkees, their sophomore album, was the only Monkees I had heard thus far, and I was unsure of exactly what I was getting myself into. The first track was "The Monkees Theme Song". I accepted their show as some kind of Hannah Montana nonsense and went on my way. As I carried that LP out of the Goodwill store in which I had found (and bought) it, I had no idea how much these four long haired weirdos would mean to me in a matter of just a month or two. Oregon weather spares no mercy -- clouds block the sunlight and rain projects from the sky almost all-year round. Lacking vitamin D and with the help of some school related injustice, I was an emotional wreck; I was feeling exactly like the lyrics in "Take A Giant Step". Distinctly do I remember creating a playlist of just these two songs -- a melancholy song, describing word for word how I felt, and a cute Nesmith love tune, a feel good tune. These two songs would help me battle through any internal, emotional wars I fought with myself over the next year or so. In fact, I still turn to these songs when I'm feeling less than great.

"Don't sit in your lonely room, staring back in silent gloom; that's not where you belong"


"Silver Moon" - Michael Nesmith and the First National Band

I love the desert. Over the summer, 2011, I was living with my dad and step mom in a house on the edge of Las Vegas, Nevada. We'd often go out to eat, go to Walgreen's, go places at night in general -- the desert night sky is one of the most beautiful things a person could witness. Without mountains, trees, or clouds obscuring your view, you feel as though you can see into space itself. Oregon is a claustrophobic place to live; nature trapping you in and clouding your thoughts. Every single time we'd drive anywhere during the night, I'd listen to "Silver Moon" repeatedy. Nesmith has this way with words -- he can capture any moment in time flawlessly, even if that moment isn't his own. This song truly enhanced what was already phenomenally beautiful, the clear desert nighttime sky. While in living in Vegas, I was taken on a three day vacation to San Diego, California. Our cute, dingy, little motel was almost right on the beach and I absolutely loved it. The weather was gorgeous in San Diego, not quite as powerfully as in the Nevada desert, but you get the picture. This song, once again, didn't fail to enhance an already gorgeous scene.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog! Following!
    This was a good post. I've never read any long-form writing of yours and your style is really smart and flows nice, I think.
    Agreed re: Nesmith's lyrical brilliance. When people are trying to compare the Monkees' songwritting to the Beatles', I often bring up an early Nez song like Sweet Young Thing or Papa Gene's Blues. The Beatles were always musically talented but their lyrics started out average and grew in brilliance over time. Nez, on the other hand, almost seems born with a lyrical talent.

    ReplyDelete